The Grade Foreman works with Superintendents and Project Managers to coordinate grading operations and oversee grading crew on-site. As the liaison between workers and supervisors, the Grade Foreman is the key person in charge of overseeing the completion of the project and must be able to see the “big picture” at all times. The Grade Foreman must be aware of materials expenses, permits and other regulations, as well as employee safety.
- Ensures crew maintains professional relations with Owner, Engineer, and other members of the team.
- Builds job by plans and specifications as directed by supervisor.
- Prior to commencing work activities, develops and executes an effective plan in cooperation with the Superintendent for his/her area of responsibility and determines the means and methods necessary (including individual work activities) to meet project goals.
- Assures the proper storage of materials and rented equipment, including regular checks of job for material and equipment inventory.
- Assures the proper operation and maintenance of equipment under their control, including appropriate applications for the respective equipment.
- Preplans and schedules grading activities daily as required.
- Knowledgeable of inspection requirements and material or equipment requirements.
- Recognizes and immediately reports any requests for extra work.
- Prepares or assists the Superintendent in the preparation of daily reports, work unit quantity reports, equipment reports, and receipt of materials.
- Assures quality control and contract compliance of grading activity under his/her supervision.
- Is in direct charge of safety and accident control for grading crew.
- Participates in safety meetings and the implementation of effective safety programs and communication of Miss Utility policy.
- Cooperates with Corporate Safety managers to ensure OSHA compliance at jobsites.
- Assists in conducting post-incident investigations.
- Identifies and recommends workers for consideration for potential career growth opportunities.
- Responsible for training and development of workers.
- Uses Next day planner to ensure everything needed to perform the work task is available.
- Attends End-Of-Shift Meetings and is prepared to discuss coordination & operation issues.
- Regularly conducts effective Morning Huddles.
- Participates in Weekly Team Meeting and helps develop Weekly Work Plan.
- Promotes work environment that fosters good employee morale with emphasis on mutual respect.