General Description of Position:
Operates one or more types of heavy construction equipment such as: backhoes, pavers, dozers, scrapers, pans and graders to perform various tasks (e.g., paving, excavating, laying pipe, moving and grading dirt, etc.). Responsible for safe operation of machines, maintenance, and upkeep of equipment.
Operate back-hoe to perform specific operations involved in the construction of highways, underground utilities, or similar projects. Works under the direction of the Pipe Foreman, to complete daily schedule of work.
- Operate excavator in accordance with project and plan specifications.
- Dig trenches to lay or repair storm, sewer and other pipelines and hoist heavy construction materials
- Understand and apply safe rigging operations.
- Maintain equipment and perform daily inspections by monitoring fuel, grease, fluid levels, maintenance of schedules.
- Ensure safe operation of unit and recognize and report the requirement for repair
- Three (3) years of experience operating track-hoe for a pipe crew, in tight spaces.
- Knowledge reading locate markings and general understanding of underground and/or overhead utilities
- Knowledge of workplace safety requirements and procedures including but not limited to back up procedures, use of flag men and spotters, signage, incident reporting, required personal safety equipment and lifting of heavy loads
- Knowledge of equipment operation, cleaning, and maintenance requirements
- Analytical and problem-solving skills
- Effective communication skills (both listening and verbal)
- Ability to read and understand field survey layouts, policies, procedures, and instructions
- Trench/shoring safety certification
- Will be exposed to outside weather conditions, be prepared for extreme heat and cold
- May at times be exposed to moving mechanical parts; high, precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; risk of electric shock; loud noise level and vibration.
- Required to sit; stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop; kneel, crouch, or crawl and talk or hear
- Specific vision abilities required include close, distance, peripheral, depth perception and ability to adjust focus
- Must be able to hear shouted voice commands