POSITION TITLE: Estimator
REPORTS TO: Division Manager & Chief Estimator
- Estimators are responsible for evaluating bid specifications and drawings, ensuring that everything required to successfully bid the project is understood and evaluated.
- Estimators must follow-up with subcontractors and vendors to ensure that the required quotes are received.
- Estimators must also to follow-up the Owner on bids and budgets.
- Administration of Bid;
- Solicits and maintains communication with subcontractors and vendors.
- Prepares subcontract bid packages.
- Transmits addenda and other bid information to subcontractors.
- Ensures proper coverage from subcontractors on bid day.
- Shows creativity and resourcefulness to gain better pricing from subs or vendors.
- Completes 100% of bids and budgets by the bid deadline.
- Enters all relative information into B2W estimating software.
- Documents and shares all pertinent information with estimating team.
- Project Knowledge;
- Review bid requirements thoroughly and asks follow-up questions on every bid.
- Has a thorough understanding of the scope for specific trades assigned.
- Develop RFI’s and clarifications to ensure adequate subcontractor coverage.
- Performs a comprehensive “bid day” analysis/scoping of specific assigned trades.
- Understands how to fit subs to the size/scope of project.
- Minimize exclusions by anticipating unique needs; that is, – “doing your homework”
- Follow Up and Closing;
- Consistently follows-up on submitted bids with bidding party.
- Knows and develops professional relationships with engineers, architects, construction managers, property managers, brokers and others to enrich bidding rapport.
- Project Turnover;
- Properly turns over bid documents and sub buyout information to Project Management team in a timely manner.
- Review drawings with Project Management team and highlight areas of concern.
- Review job cost and sub suppliers’ pricing with Project Management team.
- Ensure compliance with bid as presented.
- General Requirements;
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must know Microsoft Office products including Outlook, Word, Excel, and Project.
- Familiar with bidding software, Preferably B2W (Bid 2 Win)
- High level of negotiation and marketing skills.
- High level financial planning and budgeting skills.
- High level strategy, analytical and planning skills.
- Knowledge of the earthwork & underground utilities construction industry.
- Knowledge of financial management principles.
- Must be self-motivated and punctual to all appointments.
- Must be able to manage multiple tasks and have excellent follow up skills.
- Must be professional and polished in appearance and speech.
Standards – Company Wide
- Evaluate, recommend, develop and implement improved construction or service systems, policies, methods and procedures.
- Evaluate the performance and results of their crews.
- Train, lead and coach their crews as needed to improve productivity.
- Provide input and assistance to VP of Operations, Project Managers and other Superintendents.
- Continually improve personal technical, supervisory, personnel, and customer relations skills.
- All interactions with customers, owners, engineers, etc., whether it is in person or a telephone call, will be conducted with respect and in a professional manner.
- VP of Operations, Project Managers and other Superintendents will be notified of any issues that cannot be resolved, or deadlines that cannot be met within a reasonable time frame, and before the deadline has arrived.
- All proprietary company information will be held as strictly confidential outside the company.
- Perform all administrative requirements per process.
- General maintenance of company owned assigned tools or equipment.
Comply with all processes and procedures outlined in the company Handbook and/or Safety Manual
Job Category: Estimator
Job Type: Full Time
Job Location: Sanford FL